Recently in a car wreck with someone who doesn’t have car insurance? If you have been through an unfortunate event like this, you know the stress it can cause in your life. Simply put, if someone hits you and doesn’t have car insurance, it is unlikely they will be able to fix your car and pay for your injuries. You could file a lawsuit and win your damages in a court of law, but even then, you have the challenge of collecting that judgement from the party who negligently injured you and damaged your property. The best was to guard against another person’s irresponsibility when driving, is to carry uninsured motorist coverage.

Q: What is uninsured motorist coverage?

A: Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance coverage is supplemental insurance which is offered by your insurance carrier, which covers you in the event you are in a car crash with someone who caused the car wreck, but doesn’t have car insurance.

Q: Will uninsured motorist coverage pay for my medical bills from the car wreck?

A: Yes! If you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will take the place of the uninsured, or underinsured party, and should cover the damages to your property, as well as any medical bills, and the associated pain and suffering stemming from your injuries.

Q: What happens if the person who hurt me doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the damages?

A: If you were hit by someone who didn’t have enough insurance coverage to cover the damages they caused to your body and your property and you carry underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will help you coverage the excess damage the underinsured party couldn’t.  

Having uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is essential to ensure the safety of you, your passengers, and your property. You can never guarantee that the person who hits you will have enough insurance, or any insurance at all. To make sure you are covered, contact your insurance company and make sure you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you or a loved one have more questions about insurance coverages and how they can affect you after a car accident, contact The Patel Firm PLLC. From Corpus Christi to San Antonio, Dallas, Waco, Houston, The Rio Grande Valley and beyond, The Patel Firm PLLC is a phone call away. 24/7/365, someone at The Patel Firm PLLC is ready to help.

*This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to, and should not be construed as legal advice.