BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURY ATTORNEY
Involved in a Bicycle Accident in Texas?
When a car strikes a cyclist, the results can be devastating. Unfortunately, all too often, motorists are not familiar with driving along side cyclists. These negligent drivers can cause significant injuries to cyclists when there is a collision. At The Patel Firm PLLC, we hold these negligent drivers responsible for their actions. Cyclists can rest assured, when they choose this firm, they will receive aggressive and disciplined representation. Call to set up an appointment, anytime. 24/7/365.
Who is at Fault in a Bicycle Accident?
In most states, a bicycle is legally considered to be a vehicle and is bound by traffic rules or law, just like other vehicles. To determine which vehicle is at fault at the intersection, the right-of-way rules are applied.
- Right-of-way rules at intersections without traffic signals: The first vehicle to arrive at an intersection with no traffic signals has the right of way. However, if the approaching vehicles get to the intersection at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of way. This also applies to intersections controlled by stop signs.
- Right-of-way rules at intersections with traffic signals: The right of way at intersections with traffic signals is assigned by the signals. If, however, the signal sensor is not able to detect the presence of the bicycle, the bicyclist can position the bicycle closer to the embedded sensor, and if that doesn’t work, the cyclist can cross at the crosswalk.
Quick Tips After a Bicycle Accident
Here are a few quick tips to follow If you are ever hit by a vehicle as cyclist:
- Call the Police. Remember to get the responding officers information, crash number, and the information for the party that struck you.
- Take pictures of your bicycle, helmet, and other damaged belongings. This is all property damage you should be compensated for. It is also valuable evidence for your case.
- Seek Medical Attention. Even if you don’t feel any pain immediately, you never know. Make sure to get checked out after any bicycle accident to address potential injuries.
How to Stay Safe When Riding a Bicycle
Here are some ways to make sure you are safe when cycling among motorists:
- Wear a helmet!
- Make sure your brakes are in good working order before you take off
- Cycle in the same direction as traffic
- Use marked bike lanes
- Keep two hands on the handlebars
- Make sure you are visible to the vehicles traveling along side you
Common Injuries After a Bicycle Accident
- Superficial Trauma: This is the most common injury sustained after a bicycle accident. It includes abrasions (“road rash”), contusions and lacerations. After a car accident in Corpus Christi as a bicyclist, these can be painful injuries.
- Strains, fractures, and dislocations: These types of injuries are also common after a Texas bicycle accident. The symptoms of these injuries include deformity, swelling, pain, bruising or lack of function.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are responsible for 60 percent of all bicycle-related fatalities and the majority of long-term disabilities after a bicycle accident. These types of injuries occur in 22 to 47 percent of injured bicyclists, mostly after a car accident involving a motor vehicle.
- Trauma to the thorax and abdominal organs: This type of injuries may result from blunt penetration due after a violent landing from being thrown from a bicycle after an accident.
- Dental injuries: They are caused as a result of significant trauma to the mouth. Dental injuries include tooth fractures, chipped teeth, fracture of the enamel, and in some cases, teeth totally knocked out of the mouth.
Contact a Texas Bike Accident Lawyer to Discuss Your Options
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident in Corpus Christi when riding a bicycle, or an auto accident in Dallas, Texas when riding a bicycle, you need a competent bicycle accident lawyer in Texas on your side. The personal injury lawyers at The Patel Firm PLLC, with a personal injury law firm in Corpus Christi and a personal injury law firm in Dallas, are here to serve injured Texans. We know the law and have the determination to help you recover financial compensation after a Texas bicycle accident. No matter what your claim involves, our bicycle accident attorneys in Texas will aggressively represent your interests and rights throughout the entirety of your case. Speak to a car accident lawyer in Texas at The Patel Firm PLLC today to discuss your options. You can call, text, or email our Texas personal injury law firm at any time. 24/7/365, someone at The Patel Firm PLLC is ready and waiting to speak with you. Reach out now.