Laredo Slip and Fall Lawyer
Table of Contents
- Slip and Fall Accidents Are Among the Most Common Personal Injury Accidents
- How Will a Laredo Slip & Fall Lawyer Help Me?
- Where Do Slips and Falls Happen Near Laredo?
- Liability for Slip and Fall Accidents
- Common Slip and Fall Injuries
- What Compensation Can I Get After a Slip and Fall Near Laredo?
If you’re injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by a commercial property owner’s negligence, consult with an experienced Laredo slip and fall lawyer.
We have all slipped and fallen a time or two over the years, but these accidents can be far more dangerous than you likely realize and can lead to serious injuries. When commercial property owners fail to maintain their premises in the reasonable repair necessary to allow for the safe passage of guests and visitors like you, they can be held responsible for the resulting physical, financial, and emotional losses experienced. If you’ve been injured as a result of slipping and falling, an experienced Laredo slip and fall lawyer can help.
Your dedicated slip and fall lawyer will carefully define the primary elements of your slip and fall claim while skillfully negotiating with the involved insurance company for just compensation.
Duty of Care Owed
To begin, the commercial property owner or manager must have owed you a duty of care. This means that the business had a responsibility to your safety, and this is generally true of most businesses. As long as you are on a commercial property legally, the property owner or manager generally has a responsibility to your safety.
Duty of Care Breached
The property owner or manager must have breached – or failed to live up to – the duty of care owed to you. The standard here is that property owners are intended to maintain the same reasonable level of safety that other reasonable property owners do in similar situations. For example, if you slip and fall as a result of a spill in the aisle of a grocery store that other reasonable grocery store owners would have already cleaned up (in similar circumstances), the duty of care owed to you was likely breached.
The Breach Led to Your Slip and Fall Accident
The lapse in the property owner or manager’s duty of care must have been the direct cause of your slip and fall accident. For example, if that spill mentioned above caused you to slip and fall, it is the direct cause of your accident, and this element is met.
You Suffered Actual Damages
In order to bring a slip and fall claim, you must have suffered losses – or damages – that are addressed by the law. These can include all the following:
- Related medical expenses (both current and ongoing)
- Lost income due to lost hours on the job
- Physical and psychological pain and suffering
Identifying your complete losses is an important component of strong slip and fall accident claims.
Our Past Results in Slip and Fall Cases
The Patel Firm in Laredo has a stellar reputation for carefully guiding slip and fall claims like yours toward advantageous outcomes that address our clients’ full range of physical, financial, and emotional losses.
Slip and fall accidents in and around Laredo tend to happen in the following types of businesses:
For example, when you head into any of the following, you are owed a considerable duty of care:
- Grocery stores, department stores, drug stores, and any other kind of shop
- Medical facilities
- Banks and other financial institutions
Poorly maintained entryways, staircases, walkways, elevators, and escalators are common culprits.
Slip and fall accidents are often caused by negligence of commercial property owners and managers, as the following statistics shared by the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) attest:
- More than 2 million fall-related injuries each year in the United States are caused by poorly maintained or unsafe floors or flooring materials.
- Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits in the United States, accounting for more than 21 percent in total. Slip and fall accidents are the cause of 12 percent of all fall-based emergency room visits each year, which adds up to more than 1 million visits.
- Five percent of all falls lead to fractures.
Slip and fall accidents are all too common and all too dangerous.
While you can suffer nearly any kind of injury in a slip and fall accident, some are far more common to these dangerous accidents than others.
A broken bone is an exceptionally painful injury, and when the break is complicated the associated danger rises precipitously. Broken bones are as slow to heal as they are painful, and complications can lead to chronic pain and a significant decrease in range of motion.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Slipping and falling can leave you with a traumatic brain injury (TBI), which can be life altering. When the brain is involved, the results of an injury are as unpredictable as they are serious.
Spinal injuries can occur anywhere on the spine and are closely associated with decreased range of motion and considerable pain. If the spinal cord is severed in the fall, it can lead to permanent paralysis and a lifetime of healthcare needs.
It’s important to note that slip and fall accidents that occur from heights, such as from poorly maintained staircases, are even more dangerous and even more likely to cause very serious injuries.
You can seek compensation for all your covered losses, including:
- Medical costs
- Lost income due to hours lost on the job
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Cases Near Me
In Texas, you have two years from the date of your injury-causing slip and fall accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
What should I do after a slip and fall accident?
After seeking the medical attention that you require, the first order of business is reaching out to an experienced Laredo slip and fall accident lawyer.
How does a slip and fall lawyer help me?
Your seasoned slip and fall accident lawyer will help by skillfully negotiating for the compensation to which you are entitled with the insurance company, which includes cutting through common tactics employed by these for-profit enterprises.
Although the business’s liability insurance policy is responsible for covering your losses, this does not mean that it is going to do so without putting up a fight. Insurance companies invest considerable resources in protecting their bottom lines, and a big part of this is keeping their settlements as low as possible. Toward this end, they have a wide range of tactics to employ, including:
- Denying claims outright in the hope that claimants like you will become discouraged and simply give up
- Offering early settlements that fall short of covering claimants’ complete losses
- Prolonging or artificially complicating the already complex claim process in the hope of discouraging claimants who are at their most vulnerable
- Attempting to shift fault toward claimants and away from the business in question
- Denying the extent of claimants’ injuries and attendant losses
Your dedicated slip and fall attorney knows how to handle the insurance company, and the best approach is allowing your attorney to take on the insurance rep on your behalf.
Who pays my injury bills?
The goal is to pay your injury bills with your slip and fall accident settlement or court award, which your accomplished slip and fall accident lawyer will help you obtain.
Call Our Laredo Slip & Fall Lawyers
If a property owner’s negligence causes you to slip, fall, and be injured, the savvy Laredo slip and fall accident lawyers at The Patel Firm have the legal skill and drive to help guide your claim toward its most advantageous resolution. To learn more, please contact or call us at (956) 527-0321 today.