San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
Table of Contents
- San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
- What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in San Antonio
- What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
- Slip and Fall Accidents Can Leave Victims with Serious Injuries
- The Benefits of Working with a San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in San Antonio
San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that falls, slips, and trips were responsible for 88 fatal occupational injuries in 2021, and nine of these victims were 25 to 34 years of age, 15 were 35 to 44 years of age, 20 were 45 to 54 years of age, 17 were 55 to 64 years of age, and 22 were 65 years of age or older. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that about one in four adults 65 years of age and older falls each year, and 29 percent of older adults or 1,051,796 older adults fell in Texas specifically.
The slip and fall accident is among the most common types of premises liability claims with injuries being extremely serious in many cases when people fall from heights or fall onto other objects. Any person who suffers injuries because of any fall caused by the negligence of another party will want to seek the help of an experienced San Antonio slip and fall accident lawyer as soon as possible because there can be very strict time limits and people will want to begin taking action right away to give themselves the best chance of achieving the most favorable outcomes to their cases.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in San Antonio
After a person receives medical care following a slip and fall accident, there are still several important steps a person must take. Many insurance companies will not hesitate to contact people and offer them lump-sum settlements, but you have to understand that whatever you are being offered is probably a lot less than what you are actually entitled to.
Insurance companies may also tell people they need recorded statements to process their claims, but no person should ever voluntarily provide a statement to an insurer without legal counsel. Recorded statements often allow for insurance agents to trick people into unknowingly saying things that effectively hurt their injury claims.
Another thing to remember after a slip and fall accident is that people should avoid using social media until their case is closed. Although several people want to share everything going on in their lives on websites like Facebook, Twitter, or other social media websites, you need to be aware that what you share on those websites can be used against you in court later on.
This means that as soon as a person files an injury claim, their social media profiles are probably going to be the first things that insurance companies will want to examine. You will always be safest by simply avoiding social media altogether.
No action will be more important for a person involved in a slip and fall accident than seeking the help of an experienced San Antonio slip and fall accident attorney. A lawyer is going to be able to conduct their own independent investigation into your accident to determine the actual cause and also preserve all evidence relating to your case.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
People can fall for a wide variety of reasons, and sometimes the actual cause is not always clear. When a person does fall because of a clear and visible hazard, they should immediately take pictures of the issue before a negligent party can correct the condition and the evidence disappears.
Common causes of slip and fall accidents in San Antonio often include:
- Torn carpet
- Uneven stairs
- Debris in walkways
- Liquid spills
- Inadequate lighting
- Exposed electrical cords
- Slippery floors
- Lack of handrails
- Poor visibility
- Cluttered walkways
- Uneven surfaces
- Unfastened cords and wires
- Improper floor maintenance
- Loose or bulging carpeting
- Spillages of food or liquids
- Potholes or cracks
- Broken or uneven flooring or sidewalks
- Exposed wiring or other tripping hazards
- Lack of slip-resistance on walking surfaces
- Failure to promptly clean up spills
- Inclement weather
- Damaged handrails and banisters
- Uneven surfaces with no warning signs
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Loose floorboards, rugs, or mats, especially on stairs
- Potholes in parking lots
- Splashed grease or oil
- Snow and ice accumulation on walkways
- Broken or missing steps
Some of the most common locations these accidents may occur can include:
- Amusement parks such as Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Morgan’s Waterworld, and Kiddie Park
- Apartment buildings such as Maverick Apartments, the ‘68, and Flats at River North
- Bars such as the Bang Bang Bar, Esquire Tavern, and Moses Roses
- Escalators and elevators
- Gas stations such as Shell, Chevron, and Valero
- Grocery stores such as Central Market, Whole Foods Market, and H-E-B
- Nursing homes such as St. Francis Nursing Home, Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab Center San Antonio, and Lakeside Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Parking garages such as the Houston Street Garage, Bexar County Parking Garage, and Tobin Center Parking Garage
- Restaurants such as Southerleigh Fine Food And Brewery, La Fonda On Main, and Cappy’s Restaurant
- Shopping malls such as the Shops at Rivercenter, North Star Mall, and Ingram Park Mall
- Sporting event venues such as Alamo Stadium, the Alamodome, and AT&T Center
- Swimming pools such as San Pedro Swimming Pool, San Antonio Natatorium, and South Side Lions Swimming Pool
- Theaters such as Majestic Theatre, Charline McCombs Empire Theatre, and Woodlawn Theatre
Slip and Fall Accidents Can Leave Victims with Serious Injuries
People can suffer a wide range of possible injuries in slip and fall accident cases. The range of possible injuries in these cases may include, but are not limited to:
- Facial injuries
- Fractures or broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Back injuries
- Knee injuries
- Leg injuries
- Neck injuries
- Arm injuries
- Internal injuries
- Skull fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Permanent nerve injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Wrongful death
The Benefits of Working with a San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
When it comes to premises liability claims, matters could be complicated by a person’s visitor status. Property visitors generally fall into one of three categories in Texas:
- Invitees — An invitee is a person who enters property for the benefit of a landowner or a person entering property that is open to the general public. A landowner owes a duty of reasonable care in maintaining the property to their invitees, which includes an assumed obligation to make their property reasonably safe for all visitors.
- Licensees — A licensee is a person who has given or implied permission of a landowner to enter property without necessarily being in the interests of the landowner. Many social guests are licensees, but a common example of a licensee includes a meter reader. When a social guest is asked to leave property and refuses, they would become a trespasser. A landowner has an obligation to repair or give warning of any concealed dangers they know of to the licensee that they may be unaware of.
- Trespassers — A trespasser is a person who unlawfully enters or remains on property owned by a landowner. Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 75.007 establishes that the term trespasser means a person who enters the land of another party without any legal right, express or implied. An owner, lessee, or occupant of land does not owe a duty of care to a trespasser on the land and is not liable for any injury to a trespasser on the land, except that an owner, lessee, or occupant owes a duty to refrain from injuring a trespasser wilfully, wantonly, or through gross negligence. An owner, lessee, or occupant of land could be liable for injury to a child, however, when an injury is caused by a highly dangerous artificial condition on the land if the place where the artificial condition exists is one upon which the owner, lessee, or occupant knew or reasonably should have known that children were likely to trespass, the artificial condition is one that the owner, lessee, or occupant knew or reasonably should have known existed, and that the owner, lessee, or occupant realized or should have realized involved an unreasonable risk of death or serious bodily harm to such children, the injured child, because of the child’s youth, did not discover the condition or realize the risk involved in intermeddling with the condition or coming within the area made dangerous by the condition, the utility to the owner, lessee, or occupant of maintaining the artificial condition and the burden of eliminating the danger were slight as compared with the risk to the child involved, and the owner, lessee, or occupant failed to exercise reasonable care to eliminate the danger or otherwise protect the child.
The primary benefit of hiring a lawyer will be their ability to investigate the accident and determine the cause of the accident while also preserving all of the evidence in your case. An attorney will have a far better understanding who can be held liable for these accidents and will know how to hold these parties accountable.
A lawyer is also going to know how to accurately calculate all of your damages, which could include economic damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and property damage as well as noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and disfigurement.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in San Antonio
Was your loved one recently killed in any kind of accident in the greater San Antonio area? You will want to be sure that you are getting the legal help you need so you can have the best chance of getting justice in your case and holding a negligent party accountable, and The Patel Firm PLLC will be able to assist you with every aspect of your case.
Our firm has handled scores of wrongful death cases and we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, and we handle every case on a contingency fee basis, so you will never have to worry about paying us anything unless we win or settle your case. You can call 210-325-9990 or contact us online to arrange a free consultation with our San Antonio wrongful death attorney.
“Mr. Patel and his staff helped me the whole way through everything. They are awesome! They work hard to get you what you deserve. I highly recommend them.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!