If you’re in the market for a new vehicle, you naturally want to know about safety factors. There are some makes and models that are safer than others, and some that are less so. Knowing those brands with the most car accidents can help you steer clear. If another driver’s negligence causes you to be injured, don’t delay reaching out to an experienced Texas attorney for car crash.
What’s In This Guide
What Are the Car Accident Statistics by Manufacturer?
According to insurify, fatal car accidents are on the rise (after a decade of slowly declining). In 2020, more than 38,000 people lost their lives in traffic crashes (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA), which represents an increase of 7 percent over the previous year. This is in spite of the total number of miles driven decreasing. One of the primary factors in this increase, according to NHTSA, is an increase in driver negligence. The data compiled by insurify makes it clear that accident rates vary significantly by car model, and to test this further, they analyzed their database of more than 4 million car insurance applications to determine if this holds up across car brands. Let’s take a closer look.
Insurify shares three primary insights from all that data crunching.
In the United States, about 11 motorists out of every 100 are on record for being at fault for a car accident. Further, of all the fatal car accidents in this country, 43 percent involve more than one vehicle (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, IIHS).
Sports Cars Have a Bad Reputation
Performance-forward sedans, crossovers, and hatchbacks – along with other sporty models – are overrepresented in the list of car models that are the worst offenders (in terms of their drivers having the most significant percentage of at-fault accidents). Yes, sports cars are fun to drive, but they seem to bring out more dangerous driving practices in those who drive them.
The Safest Brand May Surprise You
After telling you that sporty cars court danger, it may come as a surprise that Porsche – of all the makes of car out there – is associated with the lowest accident rate. Porsche drivers come in at just 8.62 (out of every 100) with a ding on their records for causing a car accident. This translates to Porsche drivers being responsible for causing car accidents 22 percent less often than the national average. Even Porsche’s model with the highest incident rate (9.99 per 100 drivers) is still well below the national average.
[Related Article] Car Accident Rate Manual vs Automatic: Which is Safer?
The Top Five Offenders
Additional statistics & references provided by: Crockett Law Group
Let’s take a look at the top five offenders in terms of car brands whose drivers are deemed at-fault for accidents most often.
Subaru’s lineup sees 16 percent more accidents than the national average, and the details break down in the following ways:
- 81 out of 100 Subaru drivers have at-fault accidents on their records.
- The worst offender in the lineup is the Subaru WRX, which boasts 16.30 offenders out of 100 drivers with at-fault accidents on their records.
- Subaru’s safest model is the Tribeca, which ranks at 8.6 out of 100 drivers with at-fault accidents on their records.
While Subaru has an outdoorsy vibe, there is no mistaking that its drivers cause more accidents than any other brand of vehicle. Further, the Subaru WRX – with an accident rate almost 50 percent higher than the national average – is one of the top 10 vehicles in the country in terms of being accident prone. To make things worse, this model also garners more speeding tickets than any other car model in the nation. The silver lining for Subaru is that its Tribeca comes in 26 percent lower than the national average (in terms of at-fault drivers).
Volkswagen’s lineup sees 14 percent more accidents than the national average, and the details break down in the following ways:
- 59 out of 100 Volkswagen drivers have at-fault accidents on their records.
- Volkswagen’s top offender is the Golf R, and 15.12 out of 100 of its drivers have an at-fault accident on their driving record.
- The Volkswagen Routan is its safest vehicle, with a low 8.15 drivers found at fault for car accidents.
While Volkswagen’s German engineering and well-respected craftsmanship attracts a wide range of drivers, too many of them have a propensity for driving dangerously. The brand’s sporty hot hatch model is, perhaps not surprisingly, the worst offender of the bunch.
Hyundai’s lineup sees 12 percent more accidents than the national average, and the details break down in the following ways:
- 34 out of 100 Hyundai drivers have at-fault accidents on their records.
- Hyundai’s most dangerous model (in terms of that at-fault marker) is the Genesis Coupe – with 15.32 out of 100 drivers having at-faults on their records.
- The Hyundai Equus, on the other hand, boasts a low 6.86 out of 100 ranking.
Hyundai is known for their reliable and reasonably priced vehicles, but the Genesis Coupe is its sportier offering, and it has the safety rank to back that up.
Mazda’s lineup sees 11 percent more accidents than the national average, and the details break down in the following ways:
- 21 out of 100 Mazda drivers have at-fault accidents on their records.
- The Mazda CX-3 takes top billing with 14.75 out of 100 drivers having an at-fault ding on their records.
- The Mazda 626, however, has a careful 7.92 out of 100 ranking.
RAM’s lineup sees 10 percent more accidents than the national average, and the details break down in the following ways:
- 12 out of 100 RAM drivers have at-fault accidents on their records.
- The RAM 2500 is its most dangerous offering, with 13.79 out of 100 drivers sporting at-fault accidents on their records.
- The RAM 1500 Tradesman is the brand’s safest model with 11.11 drivers out of 100 motorists being at fault for accidents.
RAM has the singular distinction of all its models being on the above average for at-fault accidents list.
[Related Article] 9 Winter Driving Statistics In Texas: Safety Tips You Need To Know
You Need an Experienced Texas Car Accident Attorney on Your Side
The accomplished Texas car accident attorneys at The Patel Firm are fully committed to skillfully advocating for your claim’s best possible resolution, so please don’t wait to contact or call us at 361-400-2036 today.