A 62 year-old Plano man was arrested for DUI following a car accident near the railroad tracks on Kennedy Road on Thursday, August 2, 2018.
Details of the Texas car accident
According to police, around 9:01p.m. on Thursday Aug. 2, 2018 the man, Gerardo Mendoza of Plano, was driving southbound in a Toyota Celica on Kennedy Road when he caused a car accident by rear ending a 2013 Honda Civic which was waiting for a train to pass. WSPYNEWS reports that the impact of the car accident caused the Honda Civic driver to also crash into another vehicle, also waiting for a train to pass, in front of him. The driver from Plano that caused the multiple car accident was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol. He was also issued a citation for driving an uninsured vehicle and for failing to decelerate to avoid a car accident.
Facts about the dangers of DUI
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 32% of tragic drunk driving accidents are caused by an intoxicated driver or pedestrian.
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), car accidents are the leading cause of death among teens, and about one in four of those car accidents is caused by an underage drunk driver.
- NHTSA estimates that an average of two in three people will be involved in a car accident caused by a drunk driver in their lifetime.
- In 2012, the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence estimates show that 29.1 million people, a number more than the population of Texas, admitted to driving while intoxicated.
- According to the NHTSA, one in three of drunk drivers arrested for driving under influence are repeat offenders.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) investigations reveal that an average of 800 people are injured daily in a car accident caused by drunk driver.
- MADD findings also show that more than 50% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive even after their license is suspended.
Contact a car accident lawyer at The Patel Firm PLLC to discuss your options
If you have been injured after a car accident in Texas, or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, call a personal injury lawyer at The Patel Firm PLLC, today. At The Patel Firm PLLC, Minesh J. Patel, our principal injury attorney, represents victims of drug and alcohol impaired driving. You will be aggressively represented from the moment you chose The Patel Firm PLLC’s injury law office to help you. Speak to a car accident attorney at The Patel Firm PLLC today to discuss your options. You can call, text, or email the firm at any time. 24/7/365, someone our injury law office is ready to speak with you. Reach out to us today.
*This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to and should not be construed as legal advice.