Wrong way driver causes fatal accident on New Year’s Day
A 28-year-old man is dead after driving the wrong way on state Highway 358 in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2019, according to The Corpus Christi Caller Times.
Details of the car accident in Corpus Christi, Texas
Corpus Christi police responded to a call just after 5 a.m. on January 1, 2019, about a wrong way accident on state Highway 358 on the 6000 block of South Padre Island Drive, near Airline Road. The man, who was driving a grey SUV was traveling west in the eastbound lanes of SPID, when he crashed into another vehicle containing four people. According to responding authorities, the wrong-way driver died at the scene of the Corpus Christi auto accident. Occupants of the other vehicle were taken to the hospital to also be evaluated for personal injuries.
Five alarming car accident facts
- Alcohol is found in about 31 percent of all fatal accidents: According to statistics by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 31% of all fatal car accidents in 2017 involved a drunk driver. This translated to 10,322 fatalities caused by drivers with a blood alcohol concentration of at least 0.08.
- Distracted driving kills thousands of people yearly: According to NHTSA, 3,328 people lost their lives in car accidents involving distracted drivers. The most common distraction remains the use of a cellphone behind the wheel.
- Rollovers accidents among the most deadly type of auto accident: Rollover accidents are usually fatal because occupants of vehicles involved in this type of accident are more likely to be ejected from the vehicle or suffer head injuries. According to Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, only 3 % of all car accidents are rollover accidents, but they account for about 30% of motor vehicle fatalities.
- Men cause more car accidents than women: A study by Howard University on car accidents between 2015 and 2017 reveals that men were the drivers in 65% of the car accidents in this period.
- Someone dies in a car crash almost every is 15 Minutes: According to NHTSA findings, a fatal accident was recorded every 16 minutes in 2017.
Contact an accident lawyer in Corpus Christi to discuss your options
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Corpus Christi or a truck accident in Corpus Christi, don’t hesitate to contact us at the Patel firm PLLC’s Corpus Christi law office to discuss your case in a free consultation. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages, medical expenses, physical and emotional pain, and lost wages. We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with a sudden and unexpected car accident. Our Corpus Christi injury lawyer Minesh J. Patel at The Patel Firm PLLC will guide you through the insurance claim process as smoothly as possible, while also aggressively fighting for your right to fair compensation. Discuss your case with a car accident lawyer in Corpus Christi today. You can call, text, or email our law firm at any time. 24/7/365, someone at The Patel Firm PLLC is ready and waiting to speak with you. Reach out now.
*This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to, and should not be construed as legal advice.