A Friend Borrowed My Vehicle and was Involved In a Car Accident, am I Liable?
This is arguably the biggest question in a lot of people’s mind when they are about to lend their car to a friend or family member. Sadly, the question has no direct answer. This is because there are lots of variables that determine whether or not you pay and the amount you pay. They include:
- Permission: This has to do with whether or not you grant the person permission to drive your car. If someone stole your car, for example, you wouldn’t be liable for any damages he might cause to other people’s properties. However, you might still have to pay for any damages to your car using your insurance.
- Relationship status: Is the person part of your household? Some insurance policies cover every member of the household. This type of policy will cover all the damages as if you were the one driving.
- Fault: Is the driver that borrowed your car at fault or not? If the person that borrowed your car was not at fault, it is most likely that the at-fault party will pay for the damages.
- Insurance limit: Sometimes, if the damages resulting from the accident is more than the amount on your policy, the insurance of the person borrowing your car may cover the rest – if he uses a policy that covers borrowed vehicles.
- The mental/physical state of the driver borrowing your car: You may be held liable and sued for damages if you lend your car to an intoxicated driver, person with health challenges, or an unlicensed driver.
If you were injured in a car accident in Corpus Christi reach out to an experienced accident lawyer in Corpus Christi at The Patel Firm PLLC for help in making a claim, for all of your injuries and losses. Mr. Patel will relieve you of the stress and anxiety of trying to handle it on your own. He will serve as your guide through the tumultuous waters of the personal injury claim. He can help determine responsibility, establish your claim, and get you the financial compensation you deserve. From the moment you call The Patel Firm PLLC’s injury law office in Corpus Christi for representation, we guarantee we will work hard and efficiently to get you the justice you deserve. Speak to a personal injury lawyer in Corpus Christi today to discuss your options. You can call, text, or email the firm at any time. 24/7/365, someone at The Patel Firm PLLC is ready and waiting to speak with you. Contact us now.
*This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to, and should not be construed as legal advice.