The Texas Department of Transportation recently released motor vehicle crash data statistics for 2016. The reports analyze contributing crash factors such as driver distraction, DUI, road type and condition, time of day, speed, car type, weather, etc.
Data points in the reports show the following:
- Fatal crashes in Texas have gone up by 5.45%. Of the 3,773 reported traffic fatalities, alcohol was involved in 26% of the fatalities.
- Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 a.m. and 2:59 a.m. more than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Saturday than any other day of the week.
- Saturday, October 29th and Sunday, February 21th were the deadliest days in 2016 with 23 persons killed in traffic crashes each day.
- The deadliest month of 2016 was October with 382 persons killed in Texas.
- 9,000+ accidents involved some form of animal wildlife.
The data illustrate an increasing trend in serious injuries from severe accidents are increasing. We can continue to advocate against drunk and distracted driving, but it is important that you always be aware of your surroundings. You may be concentrated on driving, there is a significant change there are other drivers around you may be distracted or impaired.
To see more of the data provided by TXDOT, please click here.
If you, a friend or a loved one has suffered an injury call a Corpus Christi personal injury attorney at The Patel Firm PLLC today. From Corpus Christi to San Antonio, Dallas, Waco, Houston, The Rio Grande Valley and beyond, The Patel Firm PLLC is a phone call away, you can reach us at (361) 400-2036 today. Contact us today.